Thursday, 1 January 2009

Hello Cyber Surfers

Hi there! I'm Gizmo. Yeheee! I've got a blog.

You've probably heard of 'Reduce, reuse, recycle.' Well that's what I do. I like to give rubbish a reprieve. I like to jollify junk. That is, I try to do something useful with it.

I thought this blog would be a good way of sharing my ideas with you, telling you about cool stuff I've found on the Net and, I hope, learn about cool stuff from the peeps out there.

See ya

2 comments:

  1. I thought blogging was dead, Gizmo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Yolanda, there are lots of people who say that, but my research tells me that blogging is still very much alive and kicking.

    Technorati in their ‘State of the Blogosphere 2008’ report quote figures from Universal McCann (March 2008) which suggest that 184 million people worldwide ‘have started a blog’ and 346 million worldwide read blogs.

    Technorati (2008), State of the Blogosphere [online], San Fransisco: Technorati Inc., available at: http://technorati.com/blogging/state-of-the-blogosphere/ [accessed 17/12/2008]


    In the United Kingdom, the Office of National Statistics in their August 2008 survey of Internet usage note that 33.9 million adults (71 per cent of the UK adult population) accessed the Internet in the three months prior to interview. Of these ‘recent Internet users’ 21% Read blogs and 7% create or maintain their own blog.

    United Kingdom, Office of National Statistics, 2008, First Release: Internet Access 2008 [online], 26 August 2008, Newport: ONS, available at: http://www.statistics.gov.uk/pdfdir/iahi0808.pdf [accessed 16/12/2008]

    Comscore summarise their findings on U.K. blog visitation in a press release on October 30th, 2008 reporting that:

    “In August, 14.5 million people in the U.K. visited at least one blog, representing 41 percent of the total U.K. Internet audience.”

    The press release summarises U.K. bloggers as younger, tech savvy, with a sense of humour.

    “... Heavy blog users were found to be 142 percent more likely than the average Internet user to visit a site in the humour category, a testament perhaps to the sharp wit often associated with blogging. They are also likely to be tech savvy, as evidenced by their skew in visitation to the Web hosting and technology news categories, and younger with a focus on education, as evidenced by their heavier than average visitation of the community – teens and education-information site categories.”
    Gavin , J. (30/10/2008), Press Release : comScore Reports That More Than 14 Million U.K. Internet Users Visited a Blog in August [online]. LONDON: Comscore, Inc. (NASDAQ: SCOR). Available from http://www.comscore.com/press/release.asp?press=2549 [Accessed 22/12/2008]

    ReplyDelete